Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Win98SE problems

From: Lars Roland <lars.roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:10:49 +0100
goppit + schrieb:
FAO:Lars Roland

Firstoff thankyou for this excellent software. However I am having persistent startup problems with version 10.8.0 of ethereal in Win98.

I have Win98SE installed on my home desktop with a USB ADSL modem. I have installed WinPcap_3_1_beta4 followed by ethereal 0.10.8 and intitially I got a fault each time I started ethereal at the "registering dissectors" stage.

Having read your previous posts I have uninstalled this and installed ethereal 0.10.8-SVN-13003. This allows ethereal to start however now the system hangs and reboots when I bring up the interface dialogbox or the capture screen and try to select the ADSL modem as the interface.

I guess it is either a winpcap or a driver problem. I can capture without any problems on my 100bT ethernet card. Deselecting promiscuous mode might help in your case, as it is unusual to use it on a ppp device like an ADSL modem. You could also try to use WinPcap 3.0. It might work better than 3.1 beta4 in your case.

There are only 3 interfaces listed:
    PPP Adapter.: PPPMAC
    Microsoft Tv/Video connection: NdisIP
    USB ADSL Driver: GWAUSB98

Running "windump-D" from command prompt also lists these adapters and is an indication that WinPcap is detecting the hardware correctly.

On my XPSP2 laptop, ethereal runs like clockwork with the broadband modem and I note there are different options listed in the interfaces box. "Generic NdisWan adapter" seems to work perfectly satisfactorily by default.

So it works on WinXP. Then I recommend using WinXP. Im my experience capturing with (t)ethereal is much more stable on Win2K or later than on Win9x or WinNT.

Regards,
Lars