Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Malformed packet (bis)

From: John Coppens <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:57:24 -0300
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:04:39 -0800
Breen Mullins <bmullins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 14:01 -0300, John Coppens wrote:
>
> > The packet is from a Trap, number 22, which is not documented in the
> > ATMEL-MIB that comes with the CD. It's apparently a time tick, each 5
> > seconds:
> >
> > User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: snmp-trap (162), Dst Port: snmp-trap
> > (162) Simple Network Management Protocol
> >     Version: 1 (0)
> >     Community: public
> >     PDU type: TRAP-V1 (4)
> >     Enterprise: 1.3.6.1.4.1.12350.1.1
> >     Agent address: 192.168.0.254 (192.168.0.254)
> >     Trap type: ENTERPRISE SPECIFIC (6)
> >     Specific trap type: 22
> >     Timestamp: 59400
> > [Malformed Packet: SNMP]
>
> All the data in the packet are coded correctly, but there's no payload
> for the trap. Even if you want to send an empty trap every few seconds,
> I think the TimeTicks field should be followed by a NULL encoding.
> (See Perkins, Understanding SNMP MIBS p.403 ff.)

Thanks Brian/Andrew.

I understand... Just to clear things up - it's not what _I_ want to do.
This is an AT76C510 based AP which sends the bad packets, so I guess
there's little I can do about it.

The main reason I signalled this, is that some of the control software
seems to hang after a few seconds, and I was (am) looking for the culprit.
For example, I do a scan, and a few APs appear on the list. After a few
seconds though, a new scan appears empty, till I send a reset to the AP
first. Then, again, a few stations appear for a few secs. I thought maybe
the malformed packets were confounding the controller program, but that
doesn't seem likely.

Thanks again,
John