Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] HELP - Only Broadcast Traffic

From: Dario Ciccarone <dciccaro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:04:04 -0300 (ART)
never worked with Dell switches, but you should be able to see all traffic from the source port on the destination port if SPAN is correctly configured. check the Dell manual on the web - there are a lot of restrictions for monitoring on Dell switches

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/pc33xx/en/CLI/J0926a00/portmoni.htm#1017474

BTW: first time I heard you need a 'special card' to perform packet capture . . . and what kind of 'tag' does the Dell switch add to the packet? dot1q ?
.

ryanl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am having some trouble performing a packet sniff.  This is my current situation, I have a Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter with 9.1 drivers and QoS Packet Tagging Enabled.  I am plugged into a Dell PowerConnect 3324 switch (port 5) and am trying to capture traffic from a computer plugged into port 12 of the same Dell PowerConnect 3324 switch.  The dell switch performs port mirroring and I have set that up to where the switch shouldn't not be an issue (I have had some discussions with Dell tech support who say they have be able to perform the same task I am trying to do, they actually recommended the NIC I now have).

So I am thinking that for some reason Ethereal isn't capturing the packets.  The Dell switch supposedly uses tagged frames to pass the traffic from the source to the destination port.  Which is why I have QoS enabled on my NIC.  Now I am just trying to find out if there are any special settings I need to have in Ethereal in order to see more than broadcast traffic.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks,
ryan