Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] enquiry about ethereal and winpcap

From: Richard.E.Brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Richard E. Brown)
Date: 05 Jan 2005 13:58:01 EST
--- Alvin Lim wrote:
As i know ethereal is biuld upon on winPcap.
May i know, can ethereal or winpcap capture signal strength or noise of a
wireless client.
--- end of quote ---

Let me offer a different, non-Ethereal, answer, that I hope addresses your
question.

My company makes a program called WISPerMapper. It's a network monitoring and
alerting package that is designed to test the wireless gear that Wireless ISPs
use: the access points, subscriber modules, and backhauls, as well as the
routers, switches, servers, etc. When it detects trouble, it notifies via
sounds, pager, e-mail, or by running scripts.

WISPerMapper is specifically designed to monitor signal strength, noise,
traffic, etc. for a variety of wireless gear. It's also cross-platform, working
on Windows, Unix/Linux, and Macintosh. You can read more at
http://www.wispermapper.com.

I would be interested to learn more about your proposed application (off-list if
you prefer). Thanks!

Rich Brown                    richard.e.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartware, LLC                 http://www.dartware.com
10 Buck Road, PO Box 130      Telephone: 603-643-2268
Hanover, NH 03755-0130 USA    Fax: 603-643-2289