Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ssl decription

From: Jerry Talkington <jtalkington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:19:13 -0800
On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 05:59:30PM -0800, Julien Palmas wrote:
> hi list !
>
> this is my first message here so hello everybody ... ;-)
>
> 2 questions :
> - is there a way to search through the archive of this mailing list instead of looking inside each month ?

If you use the search box on the site, the mailing lists are included.

> - i would like to observe the paquets sent from my computer to a asp https server. obviously this is a ssl connection and when i log all the paquets to ethereal, i don't see the http paquets uncrypted.
> is there a way to do so ?

Um, no.  That's the whole point of using ssl.  If you have the server
key (and password,) then something like ssldump will decrypt it for you.

Or, you could use IE on Windows, and use something like TracePlus to
show you the traffic.  Interesting how some banks require you to use a
browser that allows third party tools plug in and read your encrypted
traffic, and I'm pretty amazed that nobody has written spyware to take
advantage of that yet.

--
GPG public key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9D5B8762