Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Bandwidth Usage Monitoring

From: "Jack Coates" <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:15:58 -0800 (PST)
> Stephanie
>
> You seem confident that I should be able to make this work which is good
> to hear!  Not to mention getting the award for the fastest response to a
> post ever!
>
> Getting tethereal to generate some statistics sounds pretty good.  The
> immediate problem for me is this:
>
> This ISP currently host about 5 sites, all the sites are hosted on one
> server.  By the time the request makes it's way to the server it is by
> IP, and the server knows which site to serve up based on the HTTP
> header.  This means that there is know high level way of knowing which
> site is being hit, ie which customer should be billed..
>
> Does that make sense?  And can you see the problem?  Is there some way
> of showing which site is being hit which I don't know about?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Lewis

Virtual hosting makes it a lot more complicated, but not impossible...
IMHO the difficulty is beyond practicality, because you'd need to patch a
linux kernel to provide iptables regex matching, then put the traffic from
each match into a different queue, then assign those queues to virtual
interfaces, then monitor those interfaces, then route the traffic back to
the server. Performance would probably suffer a bit, and good luck finding
anyone else to troubleshoot what you'd done...

Are they willing to use virtual IPs? They could still keep it all on one
server with multiple addresses, and it would be a lot easier to track.

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org:  It's A Scientific Venture...
"Believe what you're told; there'd be chaos if everyone thought for