Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal Decode of Network Associates Flawed

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:40:01 -0800
David DuPre wrote:
One version of the NAI Sniffer has a bug. Save the file to an “ENC” format from the NAI Sniffer, then open it with Ethereal, see if this fixes the problem. I am told there is an updated version of the software to fix this problem in the NAI Sniffer.

Do you have more information on that bug? It should perhaps go into the FAQ, as people periodically complain about Ethereal mishandling Sniffer time stamps - if it's due to a bug, there might not be much we can do about it (other than adding the ability to add per-capture-file-type options to the open dialog and command line, and add an option to control whether to work around the bug, although, for that, we'd need to know the details of the bug), and in at least one case I think somebody said that *Sniffer* was also mishandling time stamps, suggesting that it is, indeed, a bug.

(It'd be nice to close this issue once and for all.)