Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capturing FC Traffic

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:03:01 -0800

Are there plans for feature to capture FC/HBA Traffic through ethereal?

We don't really have firm plans for much of *anything* in Ethereal - and that particular feature depends more on code Ethereal uses, namely libpcap and the OS code that it would use, and we don't have control over that.

If support for that is added to any OSes that support Fibre Channel, so that libpcap could capture traffic received by and sent on an FC adapter on a machine, then we could make Ethereal capture that (although "we" would include somebody with access to a machine running that OS and a FC adapter).

Can it be done right now w/ ethereal?

No.

If not, what other options one has to capture info from server side for FC traffic w/o buying expensive Fabric Analyzer?

I don't know.  There might not be any other options.