Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Question: Capturing TCP packets on a remote node for all nodes

From: Efrain A Manglona <Efrain_A_Manglona@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:43:52 -0700

My question involves trying to capture all TCP packets on a given LAN running Ethereal on a Windows platform.  My current platform is as follows:
  COMPAQ Evo N800w (laptop)
  OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.00.2195 Service Pack 4)
  Network Card: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
  Network Properties Settings: TCP/IP filtering is "Permit All" for TCP Ports/UDP Ports/IP Ports
  "promiscuous" mode is set for "Capture" preferences

On a LAN with 4 other Windows-based PCs transmitting TCP packets over TCP socket port 3000, the Ethereal sniffer is not capturing any of the TCP packets on this network.  It only captures UDP packets and non-related TCP packets, not the TCP packets sent by applications on the other 4 nodes on this LAN.

Questions:
  1) If a NetGear GigaSwitch is on this LAN, does it interfere with the Ethereal node capturing all TCP packets on the network?
  2) Is there a way to determine in Windows whether "promiscuous" mode for TCP packets is set/allowed?
  3) If "promiscuous" mode is not set from Question 2 above, how may one set this mode?

Many thanks...

Regards,
Efrain Manglona
E-mail: Efrain_A_Manglona@xxxxxxxxxxxx