Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Can't capture with Intel Pro/1000 card on Solaris 5.8 (x86)

From: Nicholas Gianniotis <nico@xxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Sep 2004 23:13:11 +1000
Hi there,

I have a situation where I can capture packets OK using snoop(1M) on
this interface, but not with ethereal. I have not tried tcpdump as
it's not installed on my system.

The Ethereal symptoms are:

  a) Interface list comes up empty in Capture dialog box.

  b) When I type in e1000g or e1000g0, I get back an error

  "The capture session could not be initiated
  (e1000g bad unit number) [...]"

Particulars:

  OS: Solaris 5.8 x86
  Ethereal: 0.8.12
  Card: Intel Pro/1000 gigabit PCI card
  Driver: INTCGigaE Intel(R) PRO/1000 Server Adapter Driver (obtained from Intel website)
  Device: e1000g

>From the e1000g(7D) man page:

NAME
     e1000g - Intel Gigabit, 82542, 82543, 82544, 82540 based network
     interface controllers

SYNOPSIS
     /dev/e1000g

[...]

Perhaps it's time for me to upgrade my version? I'd be grateful if
anyone has any suggestions...

Cheers,
Nick