Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: SEGV in 10.6 on Solaris 8

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:46:40 -0700
Bob Evans wrote:

Seemed like an awfully deep stack, BTW.

Yes, the dissector for a given protocol layer calls the dissector for the next protocol layer up - and it's done through "dissector handles" which lets us centralize some functions (e.g., disabling dissectors), but adds some additional procedure call layers, as does use of internal routines to share code for different code paths, and as does the centralization of the "look up the dissector for a given selector value" (such as a port number) function.

I.e., it *is* a deep stack, but I don't consider it a problematically deep stack.