Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] dealing with many files

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
Steve Abrahall said:
> What about if I had 3 or more capture files?
>
> Something like
>
>      tethereal -r path_to_capture_file1  path_to_capture_file2 -R icmp
>
> will error

Correct.  Tethereal, like tcpdump and, I think, snoop, treats all
non-command-line-flag arguments as tokens in a filter, and, like other
UN*X utilities, has only one argument to a command-line flag, so
"path_to_capture_file_2" is the first non-command-line-flag argument -
which means that "-R" is also treated as a non-command-line-flag argument.

Currently, Tethereal can't read more than one file.  We could conceivably
allow more than one "-r" flag to be specified and do the same kind of
mergecap stuff that Ethereal does.

For now, however, you'd have to process each file separately, either with
multiple commands or with a loop in the command interpreter.