Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Duplicate packets displayed on win2000

From: Ian Schorr <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:27:44 -0400
I used to have problems like this when using certain device drivers that would "attach" at various points to NIC drivers or other points in the stack.

For example, using Virtual PC's virtual networking drivers, Nortel's Contivity VPN software, and others would produce this behavior for me. Depending on the software and platform, software like this would cause problems for me in Ethereal/winpcap, Sniffer Pro, NI Observer, Netmon, and others.

I'd look for something like this installed and see if there are known issues with the product that might be resolved with an update, or if it's something that you can remove. If you're running Ethereal 0.9.11 I'm assuming that you're also running a somewhat older version of Winpcap. I have NO idea if there have been any changes to Winpcap that have avoided/worked around these kind of situations, but you might consider trying a newer version, or bringing up the question with the Winpcap folks (particularly since if the problem is software-related or can be fixed/worked around in software, it's almost certainly more related to Winpcap than to Ethereal)

Otherwise, are you really connected to a hub and not, say, a small switch? Does the connection to the hub make a difference (i.e. if you connect to other devices, like switches, you don't have a problem)?

Ian