Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Why is WinXPPro SMB slower than Win98SE SMB?

From: "Simon Hailstone" <Simon.Hailstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:34:38 +0100

>> Howdy, y'all; I'm trying to determine why a 166 MHz Win98SE
>> machine can, from a DOS box, open a file on a 98SE server via
>> SMB in less time than can a 1.3 GHz XP client running the same
>> DOS app.

Hi Andy,

In the trace of XP<->98SE Server, do you see SMB Flush requests
being sent from the XP host to the 98SE Server?  I often see them
when transferring data between 98 and Win 2k, with one FLUSH
occuring every 30-40kB or so.  They have a very detrimental
effect on performance.

Follow this reference for more details, if you discover that you
are in fact seeing this problem.

http://manubatbat.free.fr/doc/smb/4.2.8.htm

Unfortunately, I cannot offer a solution to the problem, merely
a potential explanation.

Best Regards,

Simon Hailstone
Orthogon Systems