Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] A question about capturing

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:13:08 -0700 (PDT)
Kaminezky Efrat said:
> I need to capture data that my PC receives, I did it successfully, but the
> problem is that I want to save ONLY the data and not all the other fields
> of the packet. What is the best way I can do it?

What do you mean by "the data"?  Whether something is "data" or "another
field" depends on what network layer you're interested in.  In, for
example, the case of HTTP over TCP, if you're interested in TCP, *all* the
HTTP bytes, including headers, are data, but if you're interested in HTTP,
only the HTTP payload would be data, the rest is "other fields".

For *some* protocols (RTP, for example), there are mechanisms in Ethereal
to save what would be considered "data" at that network layer.  There's no
*general* mechanism for that, however, other than the Export > Selected
Packet Bytes menu option - you'd select whatever field you consider "data"
*in a particular frame* and save *that frame's data* to a file.