Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: [Ethereal-dev] Tool for generating IP traffic?

From: "Lars Ruoff" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:18:03 +0200
Hi Ian,

I'm just looking for a tool that can generate arbitrary UDP and TCP traffic
between two points of an IP network to stress a specific segment.
Nice to have would be a packet loss and roundtrip delay analysis for the UDP
streams.
I think of something where you run a program or service on all remote
endpoints you are interested in and then setup and start/stop the traffic on
the different segments from a central pilot program.

I've been pointed to
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/ ,
http://www.netperf.org/netperf/NetperfPage.html ,
"netcat"

Iperf and Netperf seem to be benchmarking tools that  run a series of tests
and then exit. That's not exactly what i want.
I didnt have time to look at netcat so far.

Lars