Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Export data to spreadsheet?

From: Alan Emery <ademery@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:12:34 -0500

ethereal-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/28/2004 11:04:15 PM:

> How can I export the info in the top section (pane?)?
> I want to be able to put this into a spreadsheet so I
> can do statistical stuff, like what % ARP broadcasts,
> etc.

To put Ethereal Summary data into a spreadsheet I have used
the following approach with both the Windows and Linux versions
of Ethereal and Open Office. The instructions belows are
for the Windows environment, although they are similar for
my Linux environment, some options move to a second prompt
box.

Windows Ethereal 10.3 and Open Office 1.1 Spreadsheet
In Ethereal
Select Print or Ctrl+P
Check the Output to File box
Change the File extension to csv
Optionally set the packet range (10.3)
Uncheck the Packet Details box
Select the Print Button
In Open Office
Start a New Spreadsheet
Select Open
Select your file created above
Change Files of Type to Text CSV (*.csv, *.txt)
Select Fixed Width (separate window in 10.0 Linux?)
Mark the Column Delimiters in the sample shown
Select OK

For the kind of statistics you mention in your note,
I find the Statistics -> Protocol Hierarchy in
Ethereal provides most of what I need.

Alan

ademery@xxxxxxxxxx