Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Sniffing VLAN tagged packets with capture filter

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:13:35 +0200
Phil Entz wrote:
<I have been using Ethereal for about a year now and am a very satisfied
<user. Recently, I discovered I cannot capture packets with 802.1q tags
<while also using a capture filter. It appears the filter tests on the
<802.1q tag and since the filter criteria are not met the packet is not
<captured. Does anyone have a way around this? Is there a way to
<construct a capture filter to not check on the VLAN 802.1q tag?
< Any help or hints greatly appreciated. I run Ethereal 0.10.3 on a Windows
2000 platform.

If there are VLAN tags in the packets then it will not work with a capture
filter like "port 7030".
You'll have to use filter like "vlan and port 7030". The "vlan" keyword will
be used when compiling the remainder of
the expression.
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2002/07/msg00109.html
There might be some limitations that I'm not aware of.

If you want to capture packets with port number 7030 independently if there
is a VLAN header
or not, I guess that you could use a filter like "port 7030 or (vlan and
port 7030)"

http://windump.polito.it/docs/manual.htm