Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal and GZIP

From: Jerry Talkington <jtalkington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:51:20 -0700
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 04:51:38PM -0700, Steven Sudit wrote:
> That would make sense, except that my About box mentions that the app
> was compiled with libz 1.2.1 and I can see the zlib1.dll sitting there.
>  Apparently, the Windows build of Ethereal really is intended to handle
> gzip.
>
> Does anyone out there have an authoritative response confirming that
> gzip support for Windows is known to be broken?  If so, I might be able
> to spare the time to fix it.

It's not broken.  You can open gzipped capture files just fine.
However, the HTTP dissector doesn't decode gzip encoded HTTP responses.
Nobody has coded that yet (that's next on my list of things, but it will
probably be at least a couple of weeks.)

> Alternately, does anyone have how-to instructions for getting it to
> work?  Barring that, I'd settle for a way to convince IE not to include
> gzip in its accepted encoding types when making requests.
>
> Without gzip support or an IE workaround, Ethereal is of little use to
> me.

You can always select the "Data" row listed underneath the HTTP headers,
export the selected bytes, then gunzip the file you saved to.  Unless
the response was sent chunked encoded (which most gzip encoded responses
are.)

If that's the case, you'll have to compile from cvs, since code for
the decoding of chunked responses was just checked in today.  Compiling
from source will also give you a separate row for the data saying
"Encoded entity-body (gzip)" that you can select and export to a file.

--
GPG public key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9D5B8762