Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Can't capture packets

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:10:23 -0800
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:00:15PM -0600, Don Foy wrote:
> I'm running ethereal in X-11, Apple's X-windows environment. I don't know
> how to run it as root.
>
> Libpcap is installed
>
> Tcpdump works

If tcpdump works when *capturing* packets, either you ran it as root or
somebody gave you read permissions on the BPF devices.  If somebody gave
you read permissions on the BPF devices, Ethereal will not report the
"Permission denied" error.  If you ran it as root, then run Ethereal
using the same mechanism you used with tcpdump to run *it* as root.