Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Promiscuous mode

From: "Eric S." <bikedog100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:12:02 -0700
I am a new user to ethereal, and I don't quite know what I am doing.

I have a Windows 2000 laptop, that I am trying to use.

I downloaded three files.

ethereal-setup-0.10.0
WinPcap_3_01_a
GTK-Runtime-Environment-2.2.4.1

Another user told me that I don't need the GTK file to use the program under windows.  Is that true?

I have tried the program with the GTK installed, and not installed, and neither seems to work correctly.

I am able to collect packets, but only ones that are directed at my laptop.  I don't seem to be able to collect the packets that I think are going by my port.  I have checked "Capture Packets in Promiscuous Mode", but I only get my own, and broadcasts.  I tested this by going to a computer and pinging my computer, which showed the requests and replies, but when I ping another computer, I don't see the icmp protocol.

My ultimate goal of using ethereal is to use it to capture ip telephony packets.  I have a small demo ip phone system, which I am trying to troubleshoot.  It is a very simple setup with only a hub, and ip telephone, my laptop, and the phone system lan card.  I only capture traffic off of the hub that is directed to my computer.  I am not able to see any packets for the ip phone.

If anyone had any suggestions, I would be thrilled to hear them!

Eric