Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] 802.11 FCS not detected in mgmt frames?

From: Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:53:28 -0800
I just built a machine to run as a wireless sniffer, and things are mostly working, but all 802.11 management frames come through as malformed, apparently because the FCS isn't dissected properly.

In particular, the end of every packet is a random tag number with a random length...it looks like the FCS is getting dissected as a TLV.

I searched through the archives and saw indications that this was going to be fixed, but it doesn't seem to be so.

Here are the particulars of my system:

Debian 3.0
Kernel 2.4.23 with CONFIG_SOCKET, CONFIG_FILTER, CONFIG_NET_RADIO, CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS. (anything else that matters?)
pcmcia-cs-3.2.7
wireless-tools-26 (from debian-testing)
libpcap-0.8.1
ethereal-0.10-0a
madwifi from CVS this morning
Netgear WAG511

Am I doing something wrong, or is this still a known issue?

-Zandr
Aleksandr Milewski                                              N6MOD
n6mod@xxxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.milewski.org/