Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] INTEL PRO WIRELESS NOT CAPTURING

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:16:04 -0800

On Dec 18, 2003, at 7:55 AM, Kain, Becki (B.) wrote:

I've found that with Cisco 340 and 350 cards as well, but it really is an issue with the driver. try doing a ping with your wireless, you will probably see, as I do in Win 2k with the Cisco cards, only half of the traffic (the outbound, but not the returns).

I haven't seen any of those problems with my Cisco 350 card, but that's because I run FreeBSD 4.6, not Windows NT 5.0, on my laptop. :-) I can even do monitor-mode sniffing.... (I haven't checked whether, in promiscuous mode but not monitor mode, I can see outgoing traffic, but given the way BPF works, I have no reason to expect that I *won't* see outgoing traffic, in addition to the incoming and third-party traffic I saw.)

Linux should also work better than Windows in that case. People doing wireless sniffing with WinPcap-based applications on Windows should be prepared for disappointment....