Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Date and Time of Day conversion sloowwww

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:59:06 -0800

On Dec 17, 2003, at 6:59 AM, Jeremy M. Guthrie wrote:

Is there some switch I need to pass ethereal so I can view traces with date
and time of day without having to wait 20 minutes for it to filter?

Either

	1) start Ethereal with the flag "-t ad":

		% man ethereal

-t Set the format of the packet timestamp displayed in the packet list window. The format can be one of 'r' (relative), 'a' (absolute), 'ad' (absolute with date), or 'd' (delta). The relative time is the time elapsed between the first packet and the current packet. The absolute time is the actual time the packet was captured, with no date displayed; the absolute date and time is the actual time and date the packet was captured. The delta time is the time since
		           the previous packet was captured.  The default is relative.

or

2) start up Ethereal, select "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu, select "Columns", select the "Time" column", change "Column format:" to "Absolute date and time", click "Save", click "OK", exit Ethereal, and restart Ethereal - that'll set your column preferences so that the time stamp is always displayed as date and time of day (regardless of what you set it to from the command line or the GUI, so do that only if you *always* want it displayed that way).

0.10.0a
is faster but I have a 50MB trace that has been converting for over 30
minutes and is only 48% done.

The next release might have some further improvements (at least for GTK+ 1.2[.x] versions), and some future release might make it take next to no time (the latter wouldn't be a trivial change).