Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal + Mac OS X 10.3 + Fink + Playback RTP Audio

From: Amos Brown <abrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:48:13 -0500
Greetings,

I have looked all over the web for a resolution to this issue. I run ethereal somewhat successfully in X11 on Mac OS X which was installed by Fink. The capture works great, the decode works great, even the saving RTP streams works marginally. The issue I have is this, when I save the stream (either forward / reverse / both directions) as an .au file, I can hear the proper audio stream, but it is played below a very irritating grating mechanical sounding buzz. This buzz was not present during the call, and the buzz is persistent across several voip vendors.

Is anyone successfully using my same configuration to capture VoIP calls, and if so, what do I need to do to remove the buzz from the calls? I can provide samples of audio if necessary. This could turn this "neat feature" into a really powerful troubleshooting tool.

thanks for your assistance and the great product.