Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal-0.9.16

From: Ian Schorr <spamcontrol2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:30:48 -0500
Hi Honey.

1) None specific to WinXP that I know of, though others on this list may have some input here. There are potential issues with capturing outlined in the FAQ, particularly with capturing from serial (for example, ppp) interfaces. 2) I don't know the answer to this. It also probably depends on what you mean by "work". I'd guess that Ethereal/WinPcap won't "interfere" with those firewall apps, but it's possible, and also possible (as far as I know) that traffic might get filtered out by the firewall before being received by WinPcap/Ethereal. Again, perhaps others have feedback on this. Or, if you test this, let us know =) 3) Probably very little. There are some details in the FAQ (http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.18), but Ethereal (or more specifically, WinPcap, the software Ethereal uses to allow packet capture ability) does not work well with PPP links.

5) I believe that the Ethereal uninstaller will not remove any preferences files that are created. 6) Ethereal doesn't do a lot of "automatic" detection and diagnosis of potential network problems. Instead it tries to give you additional power and tools to analyze problems and traffic exchanges yourself. You may be looking for something more like Snort (http://www.snort.org), which is an excellent Open Source heuristic intrusion detection/security scanning software.

Ian