Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] URGENT: Need help with RTP stream playback issue

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:28:10 +0100
Voice Guy wrote:
<
<Question:   Is it possible to save both forward and reverse streams within the same file for RTPplay?
<

No it is not possible to save both forward and reverse streams within the same file for RTPplay,
The rtpdump file contains the RTP packets for one direction of the RTP stream.

If you have both a video RTP stream (e.g. H.261 or H.263) and an audio RTP stream it is possible to use two separate instances of rtpplay to send both the audio and the video to JMPlayer at the same time. You will not get lip synchronization, but anyway.

I think that JMPlayer handles several video streams at the same time by opening up separate windows for each video stream.
But I don't think that it it will handle several simultaneous audio streams unfortunately. It could have been nice to have JMPlayer mixing the two streams or playing one as left-channel and one as right-channel.
It might be possible to make an own java program that uses JMF (Java Media Framework), and then implement some more features than in JMPlayer.
There are some code examples included with JMF that are a bit similar to JMPlayer if I remember correct.

I will try to look into the Ethereal RTP Analysis code more in detail. I guess that it shouldn't be so difficult to solve the problem there. That will make it work for G.711, but for other codecs one may need to use e.g. rtplay+JMPlayer or make a program that reads the rtpdump files.

<
<For the benefit of the group, here are the specific steps I used to get it to work:
<

Good. I will try to document some other stuff regarding my experiences with the RTP Analysis, rtptools, JMF/JMPlayer and so on.

There are some sample RTP captures with both audio and video here if anyone wants to experiment with using rtpplay sending video towards JMPlayer or similar.
However this is just one direction (captured multicast video+audio).