Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Some problem of ethereal & plugin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:04:49 -0800
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:28:43PM +0800, MaFai wrote:
> There is no document tell me how to run mgcp plugin in the command
> line.

You can't run an Ethereal plugin - it's a dynamically-loaded module, not
a program.  You can only run Ethereal or Tethereal, which will call the
MGCP plugin to dissect packets on the ports specified for it (defaulting
to TCP and UDP ports 2427 and 2727).

> Can it run in command line?

Plugin dissectors can run as part of Ethereal or Tethereal.  Ethereal
can be run from the command line, but it requires a GUI; Tethereal can
run without a GUI (in fact, it has no GUI code).

>Because we have no x-windows in the linux.

Well, that explains why you get that "cannot open display" warning - if
you don't have an X server, you can't run the UNIX version of Ethereal.
You'll have to use Tethereal.