Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Help: ARCNet packet capture not working

From: "Philip" <etherphilip@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:54:13 +0200

Hi all

I recently had a few questions about sniffing the ARCNet.

Based on the answers I got I decided to buy an ARCNet card

with the COM20020 chip, because that kind of NIC can be run in

promiscuous mode and grab the ARCNet data packets

Now I bought an ARCNet network card (PCM20-TB5) from

Comptemporary Controls with a Twisted Pair Interface.

+ Downloaded and installed the NDIS driver successfully.

+ Windows is recognizing a connection when connected to the 2 other ARCNet devices

+ Unfortunately I can not capture any packet, whether with Ethereal or Windump

(yes, both applications are for Windows). There is now other high level protocol

running - so ICMP messages are of course not recognized, neither is TCP/IP

I also tried to enable/disable the network protocol settings in the network connection

properties (e.g. TCP/IP, MS Windows File Sharing etc.)

What’s going on? Did I forget anything? I could select the card from the drop down

list, so I am sure I have the proper device ...

The thing is that the 2 other ARCNet based devices are sending messages to each other

directly, no broadcast message are being sent, but since I capture in promiscuous mode

this should not be a problem.

I will try to install run the card together with Ethereal/TCPDump on a Linux computer but

I only have little hope that it will work there :-(

Any help is welcome!

Regards

Philip