Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Install Probs

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:47:40 -0700

On Oct 15, 2003, at 10:35 AM, Jonty Ray wrote:

I have copied the output of the ./configure i run got GTK+. Let me know if you can help me trace the error here.

The error is that:

checking for glib-config... /scratch/users/ukoul/Ethereal/glib-1.2.8/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.8... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB was incorrectly installed *** or that you have moved GLIB since it was installed. In the latter case, you *** may want to edit the glib-config script: /scratch/users/ukoul/Ethereal/glib-1.2.8/glib-config
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.8 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

You appear not to have GLib installed correctly. According to the config.log.gtk in your previous message, the error was

	configure:4323:18: glib.h: No such file or directory

so, while you might have glib-config installed, you either don't have glib.h installed, or the glib-config script isn't specifying the right "-I" flags when you run it with the "--cflags" option.

Try running

	/scratch/users/ukoul/Ethereal/glib-1.2.8/glib-config --cflags

It should print a couple of "-I" flag values. Check whether there's a glib.h file in one of the directories mentioned in those flags. If not, try re-building GLib and re-installing it.