Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Sniff wireless on the same machine?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:56:26 -0700
On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 02:35:46PM -0400, Jon Baer wrote:
> the only real way to do this that i know of is to use a kismet setup to view
> the raw packets in monitor mode from ur ssid ...

Unfortunately:

	1) he's running Windows, and according to

		http://www.kismetwireless.net/documentation.shtml

	   you can't do monitor mode captures native on Win32;

	2) I'm not sure any wireless card under *any* OS can
	   simultaneously run in monitor mode *and* participate in a
	   wireless network - if none can, then a machine can either be
	   a passive monitor-mode sniffer or a participant in a wireless
	   network, but not both, so he can't see whether his machine's
	   traffic is WEP traffic by sniffing from the same machine.