Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] cut and paste

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 06:29:05 +0200
Neil Lehrer wrote:
<with ethereal 0.9.14 on win2k is there any way to copy data from the capture to another app like word or notepad?

No, unfortunately there is not support for cut-and-paste directly from Ethereal.

You can print to a text-file and then open the text file in a text editor. I'm using that method when I want to include some
part of a frame or similar in a mail or a document.

You can do that with the menu item "File/Print ...".
Then use e.g. "Format: (x) Plain Text  / Print to: (x) File  /  (x) Print detail  /  (x) Expand all levels /  (x) Print hex data" settings
in the dialog box.

If you just want to print only some of the frames you can specify a display filter in the bottom of the Ethereal window
before using "File/Print...".
For example if you want to print frame 4 to 6  you could use a filter such as "(frame.number >= 4) and (frame.number <= 6)"
or if you wan to print all frames with snmp packets in you could use a display filter "snmp".

An other alternative could be to use "Edit/Mark Frame" and then select "(x) Supress unmarked frames" in the "Edit/Print.." dialog box.

There is also a "File/Print Packet" that can be even better if you want to just get a copy of a specific frame into a file.

I have defined in "Edit/Preferences.../Printing" the following settings "Format: Plain text,  Print to: File,"
and then I have put the filename of a file "ethereal_out.txt"  that is located on my Windows Desktop (e.g.
"C:\windows\desktop\Ehereal_out.txt" if I'm using Windows 98).

This makes it very simple to just select a frame and then use "File/Print Packet" and then open the Ehereal_out.txt file with
WordPad or similar and then cut and paste the whole frame or some part of it into a mail or similar.