Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal run by non-root under Linux 2.4.x

From: Kevin <kem2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:48:38 -0400
DOH!  Sorry, I am running BSD here
Kevin
On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 07:42 PM, Mordechai T. Abzug wrote:

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:30:52PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
I'd like to set up some boxen so non-root users can run ethereal under
Linux 2.4.x.  From the ethereal-users archive, it doesn't look like
there is yet a standard solution for doing this.  I'm considering
setting the sniffer interfaces into promiscuous mode at boot and using
a kernel patch to allow non-root users to open raw and packet sockets
a la:

http://killa.net/infosec/acls/

Comments?

There is a simple and clean way to do this. Go into /dev and give the
desired group read access to all the "files" that start with bpf.

# ls -ld /dev/*bpf*
ls: /dev/*bpf*: No such file or directory

This is a Linux box.  Linux boxen in general do not have /dev/bpf*
AFAIK.

- Morty