Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Appreciate some Help

From: "Michael P. Kassner" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:05:59 -0600
Hello,

I am rather new to interpreting packet sniffing software and I am just
learning all the intricacies of the amazing program Ethereal.  I have a huge
favor to ask, I have a Windows XPsp1 machine that works normally in most
cases.  The problem comes into play when the notebook (Dell 5100, brand new)
tries to open a file on a network server.  It is a Windows NT4.0sp6a domain
controlled network.  I get an enormous amount of SMB protocol packets in
just a few seconds (test2). When I close the networked file on that notebook
I get what I consider a normal looking packet dump (test1).  I would
appreciate any help in interpreting this data.

I have 5 other identical notebooks and they are not exhibiting this
behavior. I have read everything about the SMB protocol problem with the
Win2K servers and AD, but that does not apply in this case.  The servers as
well as the notebooks are all patched to the latest offerings by MS.

I believe it is my inexperience in interpreting the Ethereal data that will
not allow me to understand the problem.  I hope that it is within the scope
of the mailing list to attach files like this.  I did not read anything
leading me to believe that this was a problem.

I must also apologize as I do not know the correct extension for an Ethereal
dump, so it does not have one as that is the way it was saved. Again I would
appreciate any enlightenment on this matter..

Regards,

Michael Kassner
MKassner Net/k0pbx