Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal V0.9.14 hangs (resent as plain text)

From: "Geoff Kingsmill" <Geoff.Kingsmill@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:41:50 +0930
I have a problem where Ethereal collects packets fine but then hangs
whilst decoding packets. Whilst Ethereal is hung from a user
perspective, it is actually consuming 100% cpu time and continually
doing DOMAIN NAME lookups (and flooding our WAN link). This problem
happens when "Enable MAC  name resolution" and "Enable network name
resolution" are both turned on.  Everything works fine if I turn either
one of these off. The problem only occurs when both are turned on.

This is running on Windows XP Professional with SP1 and WinPcap V3.0 or
V2.3. I cannot reproduce this problem with Ethereal v0.9.12. This
problem first started in V0.9.13 and still exists in V0.9.14.

Is this a known problem? I can provide more details but first wanted to
know if this was a known problem.

Thanks,
Geoff..