Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Effort to implement support for a new protocol

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:25:25 -0700

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 7:17 PM, Andy Howell wrote:

Yes - when you click on a frame the keyboard and/or mouse is grabbed (I forget which). At home, at least, I use a version of GTK+ that I hacked to have a "--gtk-no-grabs" command-line argument, which disables those grabs, and run Ethereal with that argument when debugging.

Hmm, that sounds like a neat trick. Is it only the GTK+ lib that needs hacking?

I think I might have had to tweak something in GLib as well.

On another note, is there a way to speed up the build? After compiling, ethereal seems to be a script that then does further linking. To debug, I have to run it once, exit, and run .libs/lt-ethereal to run it under the debugger. Is there a faster way?

"libtool gdb ethereal" will, I think, do it. (I think libtool creates that wrapper script because you *might* have linked with a shared library that's not installed, because you might be building something that includes both shared libraries and applications, so it tweaks the run-time linking path to pick up shared libraries from your build tree, or something such as that:

	http://www.gnu.org/manual/libtool-1.4.2/html_node/libtool_11.html

That's not currently an issue for Ethereal on UNIX, as it doesn't include any shared libraries of its own, but that might change in the future.)

However, that's not a build speed issue, that's a separate issue.