Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal and icmp

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:29:41 -0700

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 12:21 PM, Rodrigo Ramos wrote:

Does ethereal works well with all ICMP messages?

"Work well" in what sense?

If libpcap/WinPcap, and the underlying packet capture mechanism it uses, can capture ICMP messages, then Ethereal can capture them, as it uses libpcap/WinPcap to capture packets.

It can also dissect and display the contents of ICMP packets, although there might be particular types of ICMP packets that it doesn't understand (if so, then, with a specification for those packets, it could probably be modified to understand them).

I am trying to check those messages and until now I have got no success.

"No success" in what sense? Is it not capturing those packets (in which case it's probably a problem with the underlying capture mechanism), or is it not displaying them correctly?