Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] tethereal and filter expressions

From: Rajkumar S <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:58:29 +0200
Hello all,

I am pretty new to tethereal, and wants to know about how to use filter expressions.

In order to check for outgoing spams from my network I use an command like

tethereal -t a -ni eth0 port 25 and host not my.mail.server | grep "SMTP Command:"

reading through the tethereal man page, I get a feeling that the filter expressions can be used to achieve a much more powerful way to select what I want to see. But I am unable to figure out how to use read filter expressions. Basically I am bit confused with read filter expressions and capture filter expressions. Any clarifications or examples will be very much welcome.

TIA

raj