Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] HTTP Dissectors

From: MJ AR <armj99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
--- Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 7:16 PM, MJ AR wrote:
>
> > I've installed the windows version of Ethereal.
> Is
> > there any way I can configure port 58080 as an
> HTTP
> > port?  Right now it's ignoring all traffic on this
> > port.
>
> What do you mean by "ignoring"?  Do you mean you're
> not seeing any
> traffic to or from that port, or do you mean
> Ethereal isn't dissecting
> it as HTTP?

Ethereal isn't dissecting it as HTTP.

> >   How do I configure Ethereal to listen to this
> > port?
>
> What do you mean by "listen to"?
>
> If Ethereal is seeing traffic to and from that port,
> and you want it to
> dissect it as HTTP, select one of the packets to or
> from that port,
> select "Decode As..." from the "Tools" menu, set it
> up to decode TCP
> port 58080 as HTTP, and click "OK".  That won't
> permanently make
> Ethereal dissect 58080 as HTTP, but it'll do so in
> that Ethereal
> session, at least.

When I select "Tools->Decode As", I don't see TCP or
HTTP as one of the values in the options.

What I really want to do with Ethereal is intercept
traffic between my web browser and the web server on
port 58080.   How would I do this using Ethereal?

I have enabled ALL Protocols from "Edit->Protocols..."