Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] PPP, zonealarm

From: Joe Acquisto <joea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:23:30 -0400
I noted the posts on W2k and PPP.

1 - On win98 (winpcap 2.3) I can capture packets on the PPP adapter (dial up networking).  Is it not
supposed to do this?

2 - I was tasked with a challenge to monitor a dial up connection with ZoneAlarm active.  This brings up a
question in my mind as to how winPcap and ZoneAlarm mingle (or not) and what I should expect,
running ethereal and ZoneAlarm at the same time.  I guess I'm going toward - can I count on ZA to block
all packets?  If I see "leakage" is this due to a ZA fault or because ethereal/winpcap are looking on the
"wrong side" of the firewall?

As you can see, I don't have a clue.

joea.