Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] One-way captures only

From: "James Kawalek" <jakst4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:49:55 -0400
I'm assuming that for WIRED transmissions, you ARE getting both sides of the conversation...

Ethereal is working fine.  Winpcap isn't designed to be a wireless capture-library.  It isn't capable of decoding the DSS radio trasmissions out of a laptop, but it can handle the receptions.  I've run into the exact same problem.  For complete sniffing results, you'll have to install Linux and go with AirSnort, which is supposed to be capable of getting both sides.  Good luck trying to get a driver to work with your wireless card and linux though, that's where I got screwed.

>>> Ron Christie <christie@xxxxxxxx> 07/01/03 11:30 AM >>>

I'm trying to capture packets from my laptop to the 'net using Ethereal
0.9.11 and Winpcap 3.0. I've got a Linksys 802.11b network card in this
machine, running under Win2k SP2, and when I run a capture, I get all the
packets that are inbound to my machine, but none of the outbound packets.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Ron