Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Installing Etheral on SCO Unix 7.1.1

From: Bernd Becker <bb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:49:20 +0200
Hi Donal,

I suspect that you may be able to download the missing glib and gtk+ and maybe zlib
packages from the same location that you got the ethereal package.
SCO has some (very old) packages on
ftp://ftp2.caldera.com/pub/skunkware/uw7/Packages.

A long time ago I downloaded the following ethereal related packages:
ftp://ftp2.caldera.com/pub/skunkware/uw7/lib/glib/glib-1.2.8.pkg
ftp://ftp2.caldera.com/pub/skunkware/uw7/lib/gtk+/gtk+-1.2.8.pkg
ftp://ftp2.caldera.com/pub/skunkware/uw7/lib/zlib/zlib-1.1.4.pkg

Do an
ldd /usr/local/bin/ethereal
to see which shared libs are needed and probably missing.

If you need a more recent version of ethereal, which I would strongly
recommend, you may need to build it from source if you can't find anything
on the net. I remember doing that a while back, and it was a pain because
I had to build almost all the tools from source too, as those were hopelessly
outdated too.

As a side note, I was never able to actually capture network traffic
on UnixWare, libpcap (and also tcpdump) always gave an error.

Bernd