Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] tethereal: How to display raw UDP data?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 17:50:30 -0700
On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:11:29PM +0200, JACQUES,OLIVIER (HP-France,ex1) wrote:
> I'm using tethereal with colinfo to display an M3UA capture session and
> display TSN within SCTP frames. It works just fine. I use the following
> command (traces.ethereal being the capture file):
> tethereal -r traces.ethereal -z "proto,colinfo,sctp.tsn,sctp.tsn"
>
> In the middle of those SCTP/M3UA packets, I also have some proprietary
> packets (UDP based).
> How can I display the UDP data (as hex or ASCII), using colinfo?

By using "-V" - there's no way to do it in single-line summary output".

> When I try:
> tethereal -r traces.ethereal -z "proto,colinfo,udp,udp"
> I'm getting a core dump (gdb back trace shows that the stack was
> "tap_push_tapped_queue()/protocolinfo_packet()/proto_alloc_dfilter_string()"
> ).

I've fixed it so that it doesn't drop core, although it still won't
display stuff.  (We could make it display it as

	frame[N:M] = XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

style output; whether that'd be useful to you is another matter.)

> Do I need to write a parser for this protocol (just ASCII strings)?

That might more directly get you the output you want.