Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] private ip addresses

From: Richard Urwin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 20:42:47 +0100
On Thursday 01 May 2003 5:43 pm, Darryl Hoar wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am a total newbie with the ethereal software.
> I have my laptop running ethereal installed
> ahead of my machine that is running NAT.
> Is there a way to see the source/destination ip's
> of the private 192.168.1.X ?

No. The addresses don't exist until the machine that's doing the NAT puts them
in.

>  Or must I find a
> way to jam the notebook between the NAT machine
> and my LAN ?

If your LAN hub is non-switching just plug into that.
If your LAN hub is a super one then you can configure it to pass all data to
one of the ports and plug ethereal into that. There's not much chance of that
unless it's a big professional hub.

Otherwise get the cheapest non-switching hub you can find and put it between
the LAN and the NAT machine, and put the etheral machine onto that. You will
need to use a cross-over connection between the two hubs. Most (all?) hubs
have at least one port that is, or can be, crossed over. Ensure that the
ethereal machine is connecting to the hub at the same speed as at least one
of the other two. (Even non-switching hubs still switch data between 10 and
100Mbps.)

--
Richard Urwin