Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capturing localhost/localhost traffic on Windows 2000

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:43:17 +0100
Martin Cooper wrote:

>I just installed Ethereal on Win2K after hearing lots of good things about
>it. It works fine for local/elsewhere traffic and vice versa. However, if
>I'm running a web server on my machine and using a browser on the same
>machine to connect to it, nothing appears to be captured.

It is not possible to capture loopback traffic on Windows with WinPcap. This is a limitation
of Windows.

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200112/msg00145.html

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200112/msg00144.html

Q-12: Does WinPcap support loopback devices?

A: No. Only physical interfaces are supported. This is a limitation of Windows and not of WinPcap.

http://www.datanerds.net/~mike/netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/misc/faq.htm

>I know Microsoft's Network Monitor
>can do this, so I'm assuming I'm just missing some setting for Ethereal.

Are you sure that it is working with Network Monitor (and if so, are you using the loopback adapter)?
I have used Microsoft Network Monitor a lot but never seen loopback traffic.
I made some searches with Google, but couldn't find any references indicating that it should
be possible to do this.

Regards,
  Martin