Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] help

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:31:30 -0800
On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 07:15:20PM +0800, Joseph Guo wrote:
> I met a problem on using ethereal 0.98, that is, I can see nothing when
> assigning whatever capture filter, such as "tcp", "tcp port 80" and the
> like, nevertheless, if no filter is assigned, I can get all packets on
> the network.  I made sure my filter condition was correct and no
> spell-error.

If you use no filter, are you getting any TCP packets?  In fact, are you
getting any packets other than multicast and broadcast packets?

If not, this is probably just

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.1

> PS: I can but choose realtek device to capture other than PPP device(if
> choosing this one, I can't capture any packets even if no filter and
> network lose connection.), why?

What operating system are you using? If you're using Windows NT/2000/XP,
then this is probably

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.12