Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Problem with Ethereal on Dell 2650 Server

Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:07:24 +0100
This is single procesor machine but with Xeon multi-threading, so it could be problem.

	http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/faq.htm#q-15

"Q-15: Why doesn't WinPcap work on my multiprocessor (SMP) machine?

WinPcap does not support on SMP machines, because we don't have multiprocessor computers on which to develop/test it.  For this reason, recent versions have an initialization check that prevents them to load on SMP machines.  Older versions don't have this check, so they are loaded by the operating system (the driver seems to work) but the results can be wrong (for example, several users reported wrong timestamps on SMP machines).  Remember, it is not safe to run these versions under SMP machines, since blue screens (that is to say a crash of the PC) can happen."

If it is not a multiprocessor machine:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.11