Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Noob: Interface names

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 10:47:36 -0600 (CST)
On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Glenn wrote:

> Using Ethereal 0.9.7 on Win XP, and trying to use the '-i' option to
> specify an interface. Simple question is, how do I find what are my
> interfaces named under Windows XP?

>From the command line you can run 'tethereal -D' (assuming tethereal.exe
is in your path and/or you're in the Ethereal installation directory).
The interface name is the device path following the colon, e.g.

  \Device\Packet_{amazingly-long-128-bit-hexadecimal-guid}

I could have sworn that you could get the information using one of the
standard Windows utilities such as netstat, ipconfig or netsh but none of
them appear to provide it.