Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal intercepting Internet Explorer packets instead of

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:46:44 -0800
On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 02:41:21PM -0500, Leigh Ahwai wrote:
> I had no problem capturing my logon
> to my ISP (via DSL).
>
> However, when I start capturing and try
> to bring up a web page (in Internet Explorer
> V6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920 - I'm using
> WinXP SP1), IE fails to load the page.
>
> The packets are captured by Ethereal.
>
> So it seems Ethereal is intercepting the packets
> instead of just monitoring.

Ethereal itself doesn't capture packets; it relies on libpcap and the
OS's packet capture mechanism on UNIX, and WinPcap on Windows, to do
that.

So this is probably a WinPcap issue; therefore...

> I've played with the prefs to but it hasn't helped.

...there does not exist an Ethereal preference to affect that.

I would suggest you try capturing with WinDump:

	http://windump.polito.it/

and see if the same problem happens: if so, it's *definitely* a WinPcap
issue, so you should ask the WinPcap developers about it:

	http://winpcap.polito.it/contact.htm