Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] SNMP port configuration

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:44:42 +0200
Luca_fc wrote:
-----------------------
<Hi to all,
<does anyone know please how to instruct Ethereal to treat UDP packets coming
<from a particular port as SNMP packets? From Ethereal's behaviour it seems
<to me that its decision about the protocol used in a UDP packet is taken
<by looking at its port (e.g. a packet coming from IP A.B.C.D, port 161 IS
<an SNMP packet) and not by examining its contents. I wanted to use Ethereal
<to sniff SNMP packets generated on a different port, but I don't know how
<to set it up!

Hi Luca,

You can use the "Tools/Decode As..." to force Ethereal to decode a UDP message as an SNMP-message.

Just mark a frame that you want to decode as SNMP and select "Decode As..." from the Tools menu.
You can then select that all UDP-messages sent to or from those UDP ports should be decoded as SNMP by selecting "source (xxx) port", "destination (yyy) port" or "both".